Monday 3 May 2010

JG Ballard- Miracles of Life

I finished this last night, JG Ballard's autobiography. Ballard died about a year ago, and I've been meaning to read this since then, after reading the Steig Larsson books, something slower paced was in order.
I read Empire of the Sun a while ago, and that seemed like an autobiography, so I expect I'd be repeating stuff I already knew. However it turns out Empire wasn't totally fact, the main differing point being Ballards parents were in Shanghai concentration camp with him (they went missing in Empire). This is by far the most interesting part of the book, and he spends quite a few chapters going over his early life in Shanghai before and during the Japanese invasion, where everything went to pot, and mass starvation reigned and scores of people lied dead in the streets and water.

Ballard goes on to get married, have kids and get jobs and stuff, but the most interesting imagery is the early life in Shanghai, and his return visit in 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment