Wednesday 12 May 2010

Death of a salesman


Arthur Millers play is currently showing at Leeds West Yorkshire Playhouse, and I went to see 5/6ths of it last Saturday (we arrived late due to neanderthal train and bus drivers). Fortunately it was over 3 hours long, so it was easy to catch up. Williy Loman (the salesman) was played by the guy from Poirot- Philip Jackson, and someone else looked like Patrick Stewart- exactly like Patrick Stewart, it took over an hour for me to realise it wasn't Patrick Stewart. 
 Not me
Loman is on stage for almost all the play- an massive achivement to remember that much, and he really steals the show- theres a whole host of other people (12 all together, a record I think for a play i've seen), but its difficult to take your eyes or ears from Loman. Basically he has two sons, both a bit losers, but he wants them to make loads of money selling stuff- something he never really did, and continues to fail at. He's getting older, times are changing, and his kids dont want to travel around selling socks. The best bits are when Loman goes a bit mad when things aren't going his way, and he natters to himself and has imaginary friends (Patrick Stewart). Imagine that, having an imaginary Patrick Stewart as a friend. haha. In truth I never worked out if Patrick Stewart was imaginary- he seemed to be some of the time, but not others- I assume this was explained whilst I was trapseing around trying to find the bloody theatre.
I always enjoy the theatre- I don't think i've been to a bad play, so as usual, my verdict is 'it was ace'- it reminded me too much of The Glass Menagerie- mostly because of the accents, but I enjoyed that too, so that was fine.
Good end bit- I would say I'm not telling you what happens- but as its called 'The Death of a Salesman'- I guess you can figure it out

No comments:

Post a Comment