Friday 9 April 2010

The Orchard Restaurant


Yesterday was Amys birthday, so as is traditional, we went for a meal. Last time wasn't great- Bistro Franc on Valentines, a nice enough place, but average at best food- the only reason to go perhaps the offers they have on. This time however we tried The Orchard, a place nearish home, and has changed hands 3 times in 3 years. It was full of a couple of Dot-Artists work which was nice, but was very quiet (we went early to catch the theatre tho, so this was expected). 
For starters I had King prawns and saffron rice, Amy had Mushroom tarte with poached egg and holandaise sauce. I'd never really had saffron before, but its bloody nice, and I see why its megabucks. Amy probably won this round, despite my prawns being awesome (funny looking ones, sourced from somewhere where strange prawns come from), Amys tarte was perfect- crisp and creamy. For main I went for Lamb, Amys chicken, both perfectly cooked, mine in mint/red jelly sauce, amys in a creamier one, compred to the Lamb I had at Bistro Franc, this was a mile away, little fat, a clean sauce a dauphinoise (? spelling) potatoes. 
I had pears and armagnac prunes to finish (yes, it was due to the inclusion of Armagnac), Amy Creme Brule.
2 beers, 2 wines, 2 coffees, all for £40. Bistro Franc was £60. The half price food offer is on at the moment, and I cant recommend enough.

2 comments:

  1. Apparently saffron cures a hangover. You can get razzed on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really! That would be the most expensive H/O cure I can think of.
    I'm sticking to bananas

    ReplyDelete